Answered By: Reference Librarian Last Updated: Jul 16, 2018 Views: 20
Currently, there aren't any fax machines on campus that are available for student use. While you could go to a delivery service store (USPS, UPS, FedEx, etc.) and pay to send a fax, there are a number of free fax services available on the web. These free online fax services have their drawbacks, but they should be sufficient for most situations.
For example, faxZERO allows you to send up to 5 free faxes a day to any fax machine in the US or Canada (each fax must be three pages or less, not including the cover page).
The faxes sent through this free service will have the faxZERO logo at the top of the cover page (go to the faxZERO FAQ to view an example cover page).
You cannot receive faxes using faxZERO. There are other services online that allow you to do this, but almost all of these services charge the user some sort of fee.
To send a free fax using faxZERO:
- Head over to https://faxzero.com
- Fill out the sender and receiver information
- Attach your document as either one file or multiple files (remember the page limit)
- You can use the library scanner to digitize a paper document
- Type any text that you'd like to appear on the cover page in the text editor (directly above the confirmation code field)
- Enter the confirmation code in the bottom field
- Click the button marked "Send Free Fax Now"
- Check the inbox of the email address you provided for a confirmation email
- Click the link in the confirmation email (your fax won't be sent until you click the confirmation link)
- Once the fax is sent, you'll receive an email that will either confirm the transmission or let you know if the transmission wasn't successful
For more information, access the FaxZero FAQ
Please be aware that there are many alternative online faxing services. Here is a brief list of other websites that offer (limited) free online faxing:
Important Note: The MCC Library does not endorse any of the above services; external links on this page are provided for use at your own discretion.
If additional assistance is needed, please contact the MCC Library Reference Desk.